Tuesday, January 11, 2011

The influx.

I know I'm like 2 years late but this is what came to mind today. 
Capcom hasn't released a Street Fighter numbered title since 1999 with Street Fighter 3 3rd Strike. Since the inclusion of Street Fighter 4 in the arcades in 2008 and the consoles in 09'. The fighting game genre has made a huge comeback not only in the fighting game community itself but with everyone.

Back when I was a kid in the 90's I was all over Street Fighter 2 all the time. I knew how to do Hadokens, Shoryukens, Sonic Booms, mash buttons haha etc. I would never really know how deep the game would really turn out to be. When I got older I found out about the fighting game tournament scene and the fighting game community. Although I never got physically into it, I did keep an eye on what was going on. Watching whatever video I could find on a 56k dial up modem. When 3d fighters started coming out like Battle Arena Toshinden, Tekken and Soul Edge, I got into those. I pretty much played the Tekkens and the newly named Soul Caliburs til Street fighter 4. With a little bit of the SF: Alpha series, SF3, and the Vs. games here and there.

Not til Street Fighter 4 did my interest really peak, sadly. But I'm happy that I got into fighting games again. But this time I planned to get better then I ever was in any fighter. This time around I would be studying the game and learning the real basics on how to play. Not just play with all special moves and jumping around. Tournaments were still never in the plans and until this day I only participated in 2 small tourneys placing 3rd and 2nd respectively. I did ok, but can't say I'm happy with those preformances.

With the inclusion of Street Fighter 4 came many other games and even more to come. What most people are playing right now is Super Street Fighter 4, including myself. It added 10 more characters, a second ultra combo and balance changes for the whole cast. Other great games have come out in 2010 that have done well. Though I don't play them as much as I do SSF4. I'm waiting for the arcade edition of SSF4 to release it's content to the consoles.


The year 2011 will bring even more fighting games to the consoles as well as the some to the arcades before hand. Two upcoming fighters I can't wait to play are Marvel vs. Capcom 3 and the new Mortal Kombat.


Some other games that are coming out i'm excited for but have TBA release date are, Street Fighter x Tekken, Tekken x Street Fighter, and Tekken Tag Tournament 2. Get hype!

No comments:

Post a Comment