Friday, January 21, 2011

God of War


My first experience with God of War was when it came out on the Playstation. I got it for a friend of mine for his birthday. I ended up seeing the final boss fight and ending on a random day at his house. I didn't think too much of it because I didn't really have a strong inkling to play it at the time, despite it's amazing reviews. But it practically became the innovator of the Quicktime Event or QE. What a QE basically is, is a predetermined cutscene. It puts the player in a sort of mini game of button presses. Each button the player gets correctly the cinema keeps moving on until it finishes or the player gets it wrong. If the player should get one wrong the cinema will end with the player most likely taking damage.

Skip forward to 2011. So today I have finally beat all three God of War games (no, not all in one day). I was one of the late bloomers to the series and started playing it when the HD versions came out on the PS3. I believe I got the HD collection a month after it came out, and GoW3 sometime after because it was on sale on Amazon.com (God Bless you Amazon).

I started playing GoW1 when I got it, but got stuck and frustrated so it ended up on the back burner for several months. When I finally decided to get back to the game it probably took me 2 and a half weeks to beat all three GoW games.  I'm quite happy the way they turned out. GoW1 in a nutshell is the beginning of Kratos' journey. It provides a background and provides the sole reason for the series to exist. It's also probably the most frustrating of the 3, at least it was for me anyways. GoW2 was more refined and in the end it's a gap filler from GoW1 to GoW3. But it's still a great game in my opinion, Santa Monica Studios really stepped it up. I think I would have been a little salty how it ended if I knew that I couldn't start the next game right after the credits were over. GoW3 is one hell of a great cinematic experience for anyone. The graphics are some of the best on the PS3. The quicktime event's are even more over the top. Huge objects are moving all around you, while the ground your standing on is also moving. It's a spectacle to watch and play. I must say I didn't expect the ending to be that way, but the after credit cutscene was kind of predictable after I saw the ending one.

No comments:

Post a Comment